Monday, June 1, 2009

What's on YOUR Memorable Moments List?

May's Carnival of Children's Literature is up, hosted by Tarie at Into the Wardrobe. I like how she organized the posts into distinct categories. Take a look.

Carma over at Carma's Window reviewed SHIFTY and posted an interview of me. Thanks, Carma. It's always interesting to be interviewed. Sometimes questions feel similar to previous author interviews, but then a particular phrasing of a question or perhaps the mood I'm in when answering creates an unexpected response. This happened with one question in particular that Carma asked me. I responded with "top-of-my-head-truth" of course--actually lots of little truths-- but the combined truth I had not quite pulled together in my mind until she asked. Carma mentioned my Shifty Card video http://vimeo.com/4556993, then asked:

Q: The use of video's in blogs and websites are gaining in popularity. I love the way you made yours. I am sure you have experienced many memorable moments in your career. Is there one that stands out more?

Hazen: Oh, it is hard to choose one. Here are a few:
  • Dancing around the living room in a fit of happiness singing along with the lovely loud music of Joni Mitchell, "…go to the Mermaid Café, Have fun tonight…" when I found out my first book had sold (MERMAID MARY MARGARET)
  • A much quieter happy moment many months (years?) later--getting all unexpectedly teary-eyed when seeing the same first book available for check out at my San Francisco Public Library.

  • Meeting so many creative kindred spirits in the sometimes wacky world of children's books--fellow authors, illustrators, editors, agents, booksellers, teachers, librarians and of course, readers, all of whom care deeply about books.
  • Speaking of readers--high on the memorable moments list is meeting children and teens, and getting fan mail, email, and drawings from children and youth who have liked my books.

  • Doing the Bunny Hop with an enthusiastic library full of young children with CINDER RABBIT.

  • Connecting with youth at the San Francisco Juvenile Justice Center and local high schools about reading, writing, and my book, SHIFTY.
Wow, so many memorable moments. I’m thankful to have experienced them. I guess it is good to reflect on these moments from time to time, especially in the inevitable “less than inspiring” times as an author. I might just have to print this list, post it on my bulletin board and reread it in times of “writer frustration” so I don’t forget!
---
After the interview I did print up my memorable moments list and I'm adding to it: funny things that happened on school visits, brief pauses for celebration, small but so meaningful kindnesses from readers, connections to people and books. There are many ups and downs, lots of waiting and time warps in a writer's career. So I'm sure my Memorable Moments List will come in handy soon.

Imaginary Readers, please tell me what is on your Memorable Moments List?

Forecast: Cloudy “less than inspiring” times, increased wackiness, chances of ups and downs, waiting & time warps--as well as brief pauses for celebration, misty eyes at the public library, intermittent meaningful kindnesses, funny things, and sporadic fits of happiness, dancing & singing!

No comments: