Sunday, April 5, 2009

Lynn Teaches Writing Workshops to 4th-8th Graders at Young Writers Festival


Last week I drove up to Willows, CA where I met 180 students at the Glen County Young Writers Festival. The early morning drive was beautiful with 180 degrees of sky, farmland, blooming lupine and roadside wildflowers, various sheep, horses and cows silhouetted in the early morning light. It was such a beautiful sunrise I had to stop and take some pics.


The festival was organized by the wonderful Anna Lane.


The students had all sent in writing samples in various categories, then chose 3 workshops to attend. My workshops were on writing fiction, especially on how to add humor and emotion to your writing. The students were great, inspiring, enthusiastic, and asked wonderful questions.


After lunch (and some great story-telling by Michael Katz), many awards were given to the student writers!

The drive back was great too, with fields and hills in all shades of green.

Again, the 180 degrees of sky was amazing. I had to stop to take some pics of the clouds.



I saw many many cool trucks zooming by and I couldn't help thinking that my truck-loving character, Charlie in Cinder Rabbit, would have enjoyed that particular truck-filled stretch of I-5.




To read more about the Young Writers Festival, check out The Willows Journal and the Chico Enterprise Record.

Forecast: More writing!

© 2009 by Lynn E. Hazen of Lynn E. Hazen's Imaginary Blog. All rights reserved.

1 comment:

Kate Coombs said...

Wonderful sky photos--I am in love with clouds! (I should be talking about student writers, but you got me completely sidetracked with the clouds!) Also, I wanted to pop in and let you know I just gave you a Proximidade Award over at my site.