Sunday, October 24, 2010

More Napa Reads SHIFTY-Themed Planter Boxes

Please take a look at some more cool SHIFTY-themed planter boxes and artist statements by Napa Valley students and professional artists. Pretty amazing, don't you think?
These were on display at the Napa Main Library.
These SHIFTY-themed planters and MORE will be displayed for silent auction at the free Napa County Reads Public Event on Wed. Oct. 27th at the Napa Valley Opera House. Learn more about 2010 Napa Reads SHIFTY! here.

I love how many different scenes, themes and characters in the book the artists have chosen to depict. Which is your favorite? Please leave a comment below. And of course please join me at the Napa Valley Opera House this Wednesday evening, October 27 for the Napa Reads Reception and Silent Auction to support literacy.

I was so impressed by the artists' statements. Take a moment to read them and then look at their art.


Here are Soli & Sissy as shape-shifters. Soli is depicted as Coyote and Sissy, now a Rabbit, is wearing her sweater. How cool are these animal renditions of the characters in SHIFTY? Totally cool, right? The artist is Hugo Corro. I peeked at his website. He says he is taking commissions. I like his art and I like his attitude. And I tell you, his rates for portraits are very reasonable!
Soli above, Sissy below.
(Sorry for the slight blurriness of the one above.
I must have been so excited to see these that I was shaking!


The planter below was on display at the Gessell Gallery and I couldn't find the artist statement. Still, I love this image of Lester, Martha, Sissy & Soli. I was delighted to see how many planter boxes had portrayed Lester, too. It makes me very happy that Lester's personality must have come through in the story. Meowp! Scroll down a bit more to see the Fish Heads for Lester mosaic planter and artist's statement below.



Meowp! Another of my favorite literary cats!


I'm a big gardener, so I really enjoyed seeing all the plants, flowers and seeds painted on these planters.




Here's my favorite bridge. So glad to see it here.

I've enlarged the Family sign because I really like the definition!

I am also so happy that home schoolers were involved with reading SHIFTY and creating planters with Napa Reads .







Don't you love the bright and cheery joyfulness of all that orange--and the planter boxes, flowers and curtains in the window? Feels like home!

Okay, I know it is hard to choose favorites, but which planter boxes or artists' statements do you like best? And why?

Forecast: Even more Shifty-themed planters at the Napa Valley Opera House on Wed. night, October 27th.


These SHIFTY-themed planters and MORE will be displayed for silent auction at the free
Napa County Reads Public Event on Wed. Oct. 27th at the Napa Valley Opera House. Learn more about 2010 Napa Reads SHIFTY! here.

2 comments:

Yuyi Morales said...

shape-shifting Soli and Sissy and just my thing! Love them all though.
Yuyi

Kelly Bennett said...

Fabulous, creative, fun planter boxes--what a brilliant idea for a project to honor SHIFTY! A delightful book--and as a fundraiser. I love the thought of all these folks enjoying, reading, discussing your work Lynn!